This is a simple guide to the best candle making kit. It’s super fun and much easier than you’d think to make your own handmade scented candles when you use a kit. And the best thing about them is that they are all made from soy (or beeswax) – so not only will they give you a much cleaner, healthier burn than paraffin but you’ll also get a cleaner, purer scent throw.
To help you choose which kit is right for you, we’ve put together comprehensive reviews for the best candle making kits on the market today. Our research showed that there were four clear winners.
Reviews for the Candle Making Kits We Picked
|Our Top Pick/ Best Over All Candle Making Kit||Soy Candle Making Kit for Adults by DIY Gift Kits|
|Alternative Top pick||Luxury Candle Making Kit by Scandinavian Candle Co.|
|Best Beeswax Candle Making Kit||Scented Candle Making Kit DIY Gift Set by YINUO LIGHT|
|Best for Colored Candles||Candle Making Kit by StorageMaid|
Our Top Pick for the Best Candle Making Kit: Soy Candle Making Kit for Adults by DIY Gift Kits
Our Top Pick for the Best Candle Making Kit
This comprehensive 49 piece kit allows you to practice with a variety of different candle sizes.
The kit comes with two 8-oz tins, two 4-oz tins, a well as 10 tea light tins.
This kit comes with three 100% therapeutic grade luxury oils: lavender, lemongrass, and cedarwood essential oil, which you can either use to make single note scented candles or combine to make your own scent blends. And there are helpful recipes in the instruction booklet to get you started.
The kit is nicely packaged, having been designed to give to someone as a DIY gift. If you go for this kit for yourself, you can also bear it in mind as a future gift for someone else.
You get all the essentials to make your candles, including an 8-oz pack of soy wax, a melting pot, braided paper wicks, mounting stickers (to stick the wicks in place), clothespin wick holders, and well-designed labels for your tins.
You also get 2 color blocks in orange and burgundy so you can add color to your candles.
What We Like:
- Three Therapeutic Grade Oils | Lavender, lemongrass, and cedarwood essential oil. The kit includes a recipe booklet so you can try different blends.
- Includes Tea Light Tins | The kit comes with two 8-oz tins, two 4-oz tins a well as 10 tea light tins.
Buying Factors to Consider:
Unlike our alternative pick coming up next, this kit doesn’t come with a thermometer. But they’re very cheap to buy and aren’t strictly necessary.
Check the latest price for the Soy Candle Making Kit for Adults by DIY Gift Kits on Amazon.
Alternative Top pick: Luxury Candle Making Kit by Scandinavian Candle Co.
Alternative Top pick
This Luxury Candle Making Kit by Scandinavian Candle Co. is another beautifully designed kit that would make a lovely DIY gift for someone.
That said, you will definitely want to keep one of these kits for yourself.
The kit contains a generous three, 8 oz bags of natural soy wax, (our first choice only has one). However, you only get two fragrance oils. But they are the ever-popular basil & mandarin, and wood sage & sea salt – reminiscent of the gorgeous Jo Malone scent range.
This kit also comes with a thermometer, so you can check your wax is heated to 180 to 185 degrees recommended before adding your fragrance. You can, as you become more familiar with the process, also use your thermometer to experiment, for example, with the low temp method.
Also included are a 2 lb wax melting pitcher, 6 gold candle tins, cotton candle wicks, centering devices, glue dots, stirring sticks, and an instruction booklet.
Additionally, you get 2 high-end looking fabric gift bags, and 12 designer labels. The kit also includes 6 warning labels, handy if you are selling or giving away your candles as gifts.
What We Like:
- Kit Includes 24 oz of Soy Wax | In comparison, the DIY Gift Kits one only comes with one, 8 oz bag.
- Two Blended Fragrances | Basil & mandarin, and wood sage & sea salt.
- Two Fabric Gift Bags | And 12 high-end looking labels.
- Includes a Thermometer | A thermometer takes the guesswork out of the melting and cooling process.
Check the latest price for the Luxury Candle Making Kit by Scandinavian Candle Co. on Amazon.
Best Beeswax Candle Making Kit: Scented Candle Making Kit DIY Gift Set by YINUO LIGHT
Best Beeswax Candle Making Kit
If you’d like to try your hand at making beeswax candles, this is the kit you should choose.
For a start it the kit comes with six adorable individually designed tins that you can reuse or repurpose when you candle has burnt down.
You also get four 7 oz packs of pure organic beeswax, six fragrances, and six candle dye colors to complement each scent.
If you are wondering how beeswax candles compare to soy. They do have some advantages.
While both soy and beeswax are healthier, more clean-burning, and naturally last much longer than regular candles, beeswax candles last even longer than soy and are the least likely of any candle to cause allergies.
They also have a very faint (almost undetectable) honey scent of their own, making them the best choice if you don’t want to burn a scented candle.
As far as this kit goes, cotton wicks, glue dots, centering devices droppers, a melting pitcher, as well as a thermometer, are all included in the kit so you have everything you need.
What We Like:
- Four 7 oz Packs of Pure Organic Beeswax | Beeswax candles last even longer than soy and are the least likely of any candle to cause allergies.
- Six Candle Dye Colors | The colors compliment the scents that come with the kit.
- Six Pure Fragrances | The kit comes with rose, lemon, lavender, eucalyptus spearmint, and ocean.
Buying Factors to Consider:
Beeswax candles are very easy to make. They require a lower temperature (just above the melting point (66ºC – 70ºC) and you should let the candle cool slowly.
Check the latest price for the Scented Candle Making Kit DIY Gift Set by YINUO LIGHT on Amazon.
Best for Colored Candles: Candle Making Kit by StorageMaid
Best for Colored Candles
If you’d like to make some colorful soy candles, this is the kit for your you.
It comes with 16 color blocks so you can experiment to get the perfect color blend.
And the kit comes with four 8 oz bags of soy so there’s plenty of wax to get you started.
The four fragrances that come with the kit are clean cotton, coconut lime, cinnamon, and lavender.
You also get a melting pitcher, a thermometer, 2 round, and 2 square 8 oz candle tins, cotton candle wicks, centering devices, glue dots, stirring sticks, and an instruction booklet.
The kit comes complete with warning labels and even includes silicone finger protectors.
What We Like:
- The Kit Includes 16 Color Blocks | So you can experiment to get the perfect color blend.
- Includes Four fragrances | Clean cotton, coconut lime, cinnamon, and lavender.
- Comes with a Thermometer | Not all kits include one.
Buying Factors to Consider:
It’s a good starter kit and a great option if you are making candles with children, they will love the strong colors you can get.
Unlike the other kits, this one doesn’t come with labels. But it’s a starter kit, as are all the kits we have featured here. Once you get into candle making you’ll want to design or make your own brand labels.
Check the latest price for the Candle Making Kit by StorageMaid on Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions
How easy is it to make your own candles?
It’s actually very easy to make your own soy or beeswax candles. A great way to get started is to buy a kit that contains everything you need to make your first batch.
Like any craft, you can develop your skills and you go along. You can experiment with color and scent blends and try different techniques such as cooling/pouring temperatures to create the perfect candle.
How do you make a scented soy candle?
It’s a pretty straight forward process to make a scented soy candle.
- Melt your wax by heating it to 185 F degrees.
- Add your fragrance and stir well. Allow the wax to cool to around 135 F degrees.
- Meanwhile, prepare your jars or tins by sticking your wicks to the base of your jars or tins.
- Use a centering device ( a peg will work) to hold your wick upright and in place.
- Pour the wax into your jars and leave to set overnight.
- Trim your wick to a 1/4 inch once your candle has set.
Why don’t my soy candles have much of a scent?
Here are some tips to help you get a stronger scent:
- First, make sure you have added enough fragrance. Follow a tried and tested recipe to see if you get the same result. It may be that you haven’t added enough or even too much fragrance.
- Let your candles cure before burning them. Soy candles take some time to cure. Allow at least a few days before you burn them.
- Use a lid this helps prevent the scent from evaporating. It will keep your fragrance fresh and stop any dust settling on the wax.
- Check you are using the right size wick for the size of candle you are making.
Are beeswax candles harder to make than soy candles?
Beeswax candles are easy to make but there are some additional things you will need to consider.
Beeswax tends to shrink when it cools, so it may shrink away from edges of your jar or tin and it may also shrink away from the wick. You may start to see cracking which is sign this is happening.
Pour the wax at a cooler temperature – just above the melting point of between 66ºC and 70ºC and let the candle cool slowly to prevent this from happening.
Blending beeswax with a softer wax like soy will give you more even burn.
Other Candle Making Kits We’ve Reviewed:
These are the products that didn’t quite make our top picks, but they’re still pretty good so you might like to take a look:
Two Wicks/Wider Tins
This is a lovely kit for making double wick candles.
- Three scents: lavender, lemon, and chamomile.
- 1.5 Lbs of soy wax.
- Three wide 8 oz tins.
3 Jar Kit
This classy looking kit will make three jar candles with lids.
- 3 x 8 oz bags of soy wax
- 3 dye blocks – blue, purple, and cinnamon.
- 4 fragrances – lavender, ocean and cinnamon.
Soy Melts/Tarts Making Kit
This is a great little soy melts kit. It has everything you need to make soy melt snaps.
- The kit comes with two scents but you can choose which combination of scents you prefer. Orange bliss & vanilla dreams are just one of the choices.
- Scent refills are available.
- Makes 36 wax melt snaps.
Candle Making Accessories
12 Pcs Candle Tin Jars
The Scented Candle Making Kit DIY Gift Set by YINUO LIGHT featured above comes with similar tins. I think they are adorable so it’s good to know you can buy a 12 piece set separately.
- 2.5 oz tins to make mini candles.
- The tins are reusable so you can use them to store other things after use such like beads for example.
- 12 unique designs.
Made from 100% cotton, these 6 inch wicks come ready waxed and tabbed.
- Pre-waxed and pre-tabbed.
- 100, 40 thread cotton cords.
- Wick length of 6 inches.