Crafting is a wonderfully rewarding pastime. It’s a way to express your individual creativity, or relax and find refuge from the stresses of everyday living. For some, it’s the best way to make a living.
Crafters need a space of their own to work – to truly get creative, develop their skills, and explore the limitless possibilities of just how far their craft can take them.
The only problem is that things tend to get messy. Crafting requires tools to work with and lots of supplies, and before you know it, scraps of leftover materials such as fabrics, paper, card, vinyl, leather or glass, etc., tend to build up because – you never know when you might need a little bit of that particular shade of blue again.
You don’t need me to tell you that working on the family dining table is a really bad idea and regular desks just don’t have enough, or, the right kind of storage.
Crafting desks are different. They are specifically designed for crafters. Some have angled shelves to organize sheets of paper stock, others have built-in storage areas for rolls of fabric or gift-wrap paper.
In this guide, we’ve done the hard work and picked the best from the rest, so you can just concentrate on getting creative.
The Best Crafting Tables Reviewed
|Our Top Pick / Best All Round||South Shore Artwork Craft Table|
|Best for Paper Crafts / Best for Standing||South Shore Crea Craft Table|
|Best Wall Spacesaver||Office by kathy ireland Echo 56W Craft Table|
|Best Budget Option||Ameriwood Home London Hobby Desk|
|Best Foldable Table / Best for Dress-Making||Sew Ready Studio Designs Folding Multipurpose Hobby and Craft Cutting Table|
|Best Quilting Table||Sullivans Quilter’s Design Table White|
Click below to jump to each topic in this guide.
- Our Top Pick – Best All Round
- Best for Paper Crafts / Best Standing
- Best Wall Spacesaver
- Best Budget
- Best Foldable Table / Dress-Making
- Best Quilting Table
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Crafting Tables We’ve Reviewed
Our Top Pick / Best All Round: South Shore Artwork Craft Table
Our Top Pick / Best All Round
There’s nothing repurposed office desk about this craft table and that’s because it’s been designed specifically for crafters.
It has genuinely useful built-in storage areas but it’s also nicely designed with cottage style grooved wainscoting door details, rustic black metal handles, and attractively curved plinths. It’s also laminated on all sides so it will look good from any angle.
It will add charm and enhance the look of any crafting area and that’s why it made our top pick.
In practical terms, the left and right cupboards each offer different storage solutions and are fully interchangeable. One side has 11″ wide interior shelving and a horizontal dividing shelf to the side that can hold up to 5 lbs of weight for tall items such as reference books, sketch/ideas books, jars or storage boxes, etc. The other features the same interior shelving plus a handy tool caddy on the inside of the door and angled shelving to the side. This is perfect for storing paper stock etc.
It features a large middle drawer that runs smoothly on metal rails, great for essential crafting tools or other items like scissors paints, dyes, and pens, etc. There’s also plenty of working surface area and at just over 53″ by 23″ there’s room for your Cricut or sewing machine too.
Unlike other craft tables out there, this table is sturdy, it can take up to 75 lbs in weight. It’s made here in the US from non-toxic laminated particleboard and comes with a 5-warranty.
What We Like:
- Interchangeable Left and Right Cabinets | Handy for organizing your craft essentials any way you like.
- Angled Shelving | Perfect for storing paper stock, etc.
- Laminated Wood on all Sides | This means the table will look good from all angles.
- Cottage Style | It’s has some nice details such as the grooved wainscoting on the doors, and rustic black metal handles.
- Spacious | There’s plenty of working area you can see the full dimensions in the diagram below.
Buying Factors to Consider:
The table will require spending some time to assemble it but there are clear instructions and it doesn’t require a degree in physics to put it together.
Check the latest price and color options for the South Shore Artwork Craft Table Amazon.
Best for Paper Crafts / Best for Standing: South Shore Crea Craft Table
Best for Paper Crafts / Best for Standing
This is a great work station for paper or fabric crafters. It features a large storage area for rolls of paper or fabrics, multiple shelves and there are also two handy spindles for spools of ribbons, etc. built into one end.
It comes complete with 4 pull out storage bins, two large and two medium, so it’s ideal for keeping any clutter like fabric off-cuts, yarns or wool roving for needle felting out of sight.
It comes with 8 adjustable shelves that can be slanted to hold paper, card, vinyl sheets, heat transfer paper and more, and like our top choice, it also has a generous middle draw to keep accessories such as scissors and fabric knives close at hand but safely away, so they’re not lying around.
At 34″ high, this table is a little taller, than average, which makes it a comfortable height for standing at, without having to hunch over. It’s an ideal height for cutting with a self-healing mat, or for quilting, stamping, stained glass crafting and more. Alternatively, it can easily be used with a stool.
At just over 53″ wide and nearly 27″ deep, it has a large scratchproof and water-resistant surface area so there is plenty of room for a die cutting machine, embroidery or sewing machine, serger or even a cabbing machine for jewelry making, etc.
It’s made (by the same company as our top choice) from non-toxic laminated particleboard and it also comes with a 5-year warranty.
What We Like:
- Tall Craft Table | It’s an ideal height for standing without having to hunch over uncomfortably.
- Built-In Spindles and Tall Storage Container | For spools of ribbon, etc., and great for storing rolls of fabric or paper for gift wrapping.
- 8 Adjustable Shelves | To make 10 separate storage areas. These can be slanted to hold paper stock etc.
- Laminated Wood on all Sides |Meaning the table will look good anywhere it’s placed in a room.
- Includes 4 Storage Bins | Great for organizing supplies while keeping the table clutter-free.
Check the latest price and color options for the South Shore Crea Craft Table Amazon.
Best Wall Spacesaver: Office by kathy ireland Echo 56W Craft Table
Best Wall Spacesaver
This is a simple and contemporary space-saving craft table that incorporates wall shelf storage. The design maximizes the working surface area by continuing right up to the wall.
This means it’s great for moving heavier crafting equipment, such as a sewing machine, out of the way without having to move it off the table just to create more working space.
At just over 23″ by 56″ in length it has plenty of countertop space – though it’s worth noting that just under a foot of this space is integral with the wall shelving.
It’s sturdy too and can hold up to 200lbs in weight so it’s not going to move about while you’re sewing on a machine.
The crafting table comes with a 3-year warranty and it meets all ANSI/BIFMA quality standards for safety and performance.
What We Like:
- Wide Countertop Space with Integral Wall Shelving | Great for moving and storing heavier crafting equipment like a sewing machine to one side without having to move it off the table surface in order to make more room.
- Sturdy | It can hold up to 200lbs in weight so it’s not going to move about while you’re sewing on a machine.
- Choice of Finish | The choice is between gray sand, pictured above and pure white.
Buying Factors to Consider:
While it does cost less than the first two options, we should mention that it doesn’t have the handy central draw featured in the first two options and there aren’t as many storage cubbies either. If you have a lot of crafting essentials and accessories that you need to organize this craft table may not be the best option for you.
That said, if you want a solid work surface with plenty of room for a sewing machine or other crafting equipment and you need some additional shelving for light storage, this one would be an excellent choice.
Check the latest price and color options for the Office by kathy ireland Echo 56W Craft Table on Amazon.
Best Budget Option: Ameriwood Home London Hobby Desk
This is our budget choice and it comes in a choice of two finishes, espresso or white. It features 12 storage cubbies or cubes with a countertop workspace of just over 47″ wide by 26″ deep.
To give you an idea of storage size, each cubby measures 9″ deep, 11.5″ wide and 15.25″ tall. There’s plenty of space for books, binder’s and crafting accessories, though with this choice it should be noted there’s no place to store away larger crafting equipment such as a sewing machine.
It’s compact but sturdy. It’s made from laminated hollow core, particleboard, and MDF.
What We Like:
- Contemporary Design | It would look good in any craft room and the built-in cubbies are great to store and display crafty items.
- Choice of Two Finishes | Choose between espresso and white.
- Good Storage | Features 12 cubbies for books and crafting materials.
- Good Value for money | This one is similar to the kathy ireland Echo but costs quite a lot less. It’s a great price for what you get.
Buying Factors to Consider:
This crafting table looks good and is economically price. However, it isn’t waterproof or even water-resistant, so it would be a good idea with this option to find something to protect the table surface if your craft involves liquids of any kind or you should go for the scratchproof and water-resistant tabletop that the South Shore Crea Craft Table features.
Check the latest price and color options for Ameriwood Home London Hobby Desk on Amazon.
Best Foldable Table / Best for Dress Making:
Best Foldable Table / Dress-Making
This is a great fold away option. it’s an ideal table for dressmaking and quilting but it’s also great for general crafts too – for those, for example, who need a more practical foldaway solution to working on the dining room table.
For general crafts, there’s a plain tabletop version and for dressmakers and quilters, there’s a version with a grid marked out in inches and centimeters with additional radial and angled lines.
You can choose between a fixed or adjustable height, ranging from 30.25″ to 39.25″. Ideal if you prefer to work standing up. The adjustability in 1.5″ increments, means you’re not going to be hunched over which makes it much better for your back.
There are two slide-out wire mesh storage draws in the central area and a bottom shelf that’s the perfect size for a die-cutting machine. Additionally, the table has lockable castors for either portability or stability.
What We Like:
- Foldable Table | Meaning it’s not going to take up much room when you’re not crafting or sewing.
- Grid Option | It’s ideal for fabric cutting, dressmaking, and quilt making.
- Adjustable Height Option | This saves you from having to hunch over your work.
- Built-in Storage | The shelf and wire baskets are handy to store your machine and any essentials for the project you’re currently working on.
Check the latest price and options for Sew Ready Studio Designs Table on Amazon.
Best Quilting Table: Sullivans Quilter’s Design Table White
Best for Quilting
Last, but by no means least, this is a great option for quilters.
This melamine table comes complete with a 1″ gridded surface for laying out and cutting fabrics and features a roll-out serger storage shelf.
It has an integral drawer for tools and accessories and a cupboard for fabrics.
The tabletop area is extendable from 16.5″ wide to 35.5″ wide and the whole table stands on lockable castors.
What We Like:
- Roll Out Serger Shelf | This means your table surface area is not taken up by the machine.
- 1″ Gridded Surface | Perfect for laying out and cutting fabrics.
- Foldable Work Surface | This gives you more room to work on larger projects but saves on space if you’re not.
- Lockable Castors | Handy to move it out into the center of a room or to open it out or work around it from different sides.
Buying Factors to Consider:
It’s great for laying out and cutting fabrics, for sewing projects and quiltmaking. It’s also great as a multipurpose craft table but it’s not the sturdiest option to use a heavy or large sewing machine on for the advance quilter. If that is you, you should take a look at our best for quilters option in our sewing cabinet guide.
Check the latest price for the Sullivans Quilter’s Design Table White on Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are crafting tables easy to assemble?
Crafting tables aren’t difficult to assemble but they tend to have more built-in storage areas than an office desk, for example, so their design tends to be more complex.
This means they do generally take longer to put together. For that reason, it’s a good idea to get a friend to help you put it together.
Are crafting tables better than a desk?
Craft tables are much better than regular desks for crafters. They are specifically designed for crafts so tend to have more storage areas for tools and materials, as well as space to add storage bins for scraps.
They often include cupboard space for a sewing machine, die cutting machine or other essential equipment and some have tall storage areas for rolls of paper or fabric, slanted shelving for paper stock or spindles for spools of ribbons, etc.
Can you fit a sewing machine in a crafting table with storage?
Many crafting tables do have cupboard space for a sewing machine. Crafting tables are a great way to keep all your craft supplies and equipment together in one place. They are specifically designed for the purpose. They tend have a large countertop so there’s generally enough room to easily accommodate a sewing machine on top and still work on something by hand, even if the machine can’t be stored away.
Do crafting tables take up much space?
Crafting tables are generally quite spacious but that’s because crafts tend to require equipment such as a sewing, cabbing, die-cutting machine or serger. They also require tools, materials, and other supplies and you need lots of space to work.
Though many are larger than a regular desk they are much better at organizing your equipment so your craft space will look much less messy.
Alternatively, if you are short on space you should choose a foldable craft table.
Other Crafting Tables We’ve Reviewed:
These are the products that didn’t quite make our top picks, but they’re still pretty good so you might like to take a look:
This is both stylish and practical with 3 deep removable drawers. To be honest it could have easily made our top picks list.
- The melamine top surface is heat, stain, and scratch-resistant.
- The 3 storage drawers can be pulled out from either side of the table.
- The table is finished on all sides so it looks equally as good from all angles.
Best Large Craft Table
This is a nice option with multiple adjustable cubby shelves. It’s quite pricey however and that’s why it’s not in the list of our top picks.
- You have a choice between 9 shelf bookcases or 3-bin cabinets.
- Available in oak, black or white.
- Large working area: 55″ wide x 40 ¾” deep x 38½” high.
Foldable Space Saver
This is a great option for small spaces or the occasional crafter or hobbyist.
- Collapsible / fold-out side panels.
- Converts into a filing cabinet.
- Folds out to a surface area of 48 inches wide.
Fold-Away Craft Desk.
This one folds out and converts to a desk with built-in shelving.
- Made in the USA for stain-resistant, laminated wood.
- At 55″ wide by 40 ¾” deep and 38½” high, it’s perfect for standing while you craft.
- Great for storing and tidying away sewing, crafting, scrapbooking or paper and art projects.