You don’t need me to tell you that crafting on the family dining table is a really bad idea and regular desks just don’t have enough, or, the right kind of storage. So if you are looking to find the best craft table, we’ve done all the hard work and research for you.
If you’d just like a round-up of the ones we have chosen, you can see a summary of our top picks for the best craft tables all in one place, in the table below. But we have also provided full reviews for each choice.
|Our Top pick / Best All Round Craft Table||The Sauder Craft Pro Series|
For Scrapbookers, Paper, and Fabric Crafts.
Dimensions: 60″ x 30″ by 35.98″
|Best Tall Desk for Standing||Project Center Desk|
For Scrapbookers, Paper, and Fabric Crafts.
Dimensions: 55″ x 40.75″ by 38.5″ H
|Best Budget Option||Ameriwood Home London Hobby Desk |
For Die Cutting, Paper, and Fabric Crafts.
Dimensions: 47.4″ x 26.375″ by 58.375″ H
|Best Foldable Table / Best for Dress-Making||Sew Ready Studio Designs Folding Multipurpose Hobby and Craft Cutting Table|
For Fabric, Sewing, and Paper Crafts.
Dimensions: 58.7″ (36″) x 30.2″ by 39.25″ H
|Best Quilting Table|
|Arrow 901 Auntie|
For Sewing, Cutting, and Quilting.
Dimensions: 63.75″ (32.5″) x 19.75″ x 30.5″ H
Also in this guide.
The Best Crafting Tables Reviewed
These are our full reviews. We’ve done the hard work and picked the best from the rest, so you can just concentrate on getting creative.
Our Top pick / Best All Round Craft Table: The Sauder Craft Pro Series
Our Top pick / Best All Round Craft Table
The Sauder Craft Pro wins our top pick for the best craft table – hands down.
Designed specifically for crafters, with good attention to the design details, this table features, ample drawer space, with lots of open storage spaces for baskets and books, etc.,
Affordable, and suitable for just about any craft, this table will adapt to fit your craft room as it will look good from any angle, whether you place it in the middle of the room or against a wall.
No wonder, it’s our top choice. Let’s take a closer look.
The 60 by 30-inch tabletop provides a much larger working surface area than you’d get with any standard office desk.
There’s enough space to work on a large cutting mat, and still leave room for a Cricut, sewing machine, and other essential pieces of craft equipment, as well as room for a table light/magnifier, glue gun, pencils, scissors, plyers, or other craft tools.
The 3 large central drawers keep your craft tools close to hand and a handy feature is that you can remove them (as in the photo below) and place them on your worktop for easy access to essential items.
The melamine top is heat, stain, and scratch-resistant this table is sturdy and won’t vibrate when sewing, for example.
- Lots of Storage | You can organize your craft essentials easily and neatly but with everything still in view.
- Deep Drawers| A nice feature is that it’s easy to access essential items as the draws can be removed and when place on your worktop are decorative enough to look more like caddy bins than draws.
- Laminated Wood on All Sides | This means the table will look good whichever angle it’s viewed from.
- Spacious | There’s plenty of tabletop working area, and much larger than you’d get with a standard office desk.
- The only downside that we should point out is that you’re not going to get your knees under this one. So if you work solely sitting down you should go for our next option.
Other than that, this is a great option for any crafters who want to organize their space efficiently so they can spend more of their precious time actually crafting and less time hunting about for tools, fabrics, threads, beads, or paints, etc.
Check the latest price for The Sauder Craft Pro Series on Amazon.
Best Tall Desk for Standing: Project Center Desk
Best Tall Desk for Standing
This is a professional-looking craft desk with multiple adjustable cubby shelves.
It’s tall enough to work comfortably while standing up, without straining your back.
It is, it has to be said, a little pricier than Sauder Craft Pro we’ve just looked at, but it does have one big advantage over our previous pick, and that feature, in our opinion, makes it well worth considering.
You see if you like to work sitting down as often as you do standing up, you can at least get your knees under this craft table (you can’t so easily with the Sauder Craft Pro).
And with a large surface area of 15 sq ft there’s plenty of elbow room too.
In fact, there’s nothing repurposed office desk about the Project Center Desk. It’s a true craft table and it will look good and feel comfortable to work at in your craft room for years to come.
Each shelf is height adjustable so you can easily store taller rolls of paper or fabric etc. Or you could add your own storage bins (the shelves are 12.25″ wide) to organize and hide away craft supplies that would otherwise clutter the look of your craft room.
- Work standing up without straining your back.
- Available in oak, black or white.
- Large working area: 55″ wide x 40 ¾” deep x 38½” high.
- The Project Center Desk pricier than Sauder Craft Pro.
Check the latest price and color options for the Project Center Desk on Amazon.
Best Budget Option: Ameriwood Home London Hobby Desk
Best Budget Option
This is a simple and contemporary space-saving craft table that incorporates wall shelf storage. The design maximizes the working surface area by continuing right up to the wall.
This means it’s great for moving heavier crafting equipment, such as a sewing machine, out of the way without having to move it off the table just to create more working space.
Apart from its inherent good design, it’s also a very affordable budget choice and it comes in a choice of two finishes, espresso or white. It features 12 storage cubbies or cubes with a countertop workspace of just over 47″ wide by 26″ deep.
To give you an idea of storage size, each cubby measures 9″ deep, 11.5″ wide and 15.25″ tall. There’s plenty of space for books, binder’s and crafting accessories, though with this choice it should be noted there’s no place to store away larger crafting equipment such as a sewing machine.
It’s compact but sturdy. It’s made from laminated hollow core, particleboard, and MDF.
- Contemporary Design | It would look good in any craft room and the built-in cubbies are great to store and display crafty items.
- Wide Countertop Space with Integral Wall Shelving | Great for moving and storing heavier crafting equipment like a sewing machine to one side without having to move it off the table surface in order to make more room.
- Choice of Two Finishes | Choose between espresso and white.
- Good Storage | Features 12 cubbies for books and crafting materials.
- Not Waterproof | This crafting table looks good and is economically price. However, it isn’t waterproof or even water-resistant, so it would be a good idea with this option to find something to protect the table surface if your craft involves liquids of any kind.
Check the latest price and color options for Ameriwood Home London Hobby Desk on Amazon.
Best Foldable Table / Best for Dress Making:
Best Foldable Table / Dress-Making
This is a great fold away option. it’s an ideal table for dressmaking and quilting but it’s also great for general crafts too – for those, for example, who need a more practical foldaway solution to working on the dining room table.
For general crafts, there’s a plain tabletop version and for dressmakers and quilters, there’s a version with a grid marked out in inches and centimeters with additional radial and angled lines.
You can choose between a fixed or adjustable height, ranging from 30.25″ to 39.25″. Ideal if you prefer to work standing up. The adjustability in 1.5″ increments, means you’re not going to be hunched over which makes it much better for your back.
There are two slide-out wire mesh storage draws in the central area and a bottom shelf that’s the perfect size for a die-cutting machine. Additionally, the table has lockable castors for either portability or stability.
- Foldable Table | Meaning it’s not going to take up much room when you’re not crafting or sewing.
- Grid Option | It’s ideal for fabric cutting, dressmaking, and quilt making.
- Adjustable Height Option | This saves you from having to hunch over your work.
- Built-in Storage | The shelf and wire baskets are handy to store your machine and any essentials for the project you’re currently working on.
- With this one there are no cons if you specifically want one that’s lightweight, portable, and foldable. It’s not as strong and a regular table but may just be ideal for your needs.
Check the latest price and options for Sew Ready Studio Designs Table on Amazon.
Best Quilting Table: Arrow 901 Auntie Em
Best for Quilting
Last, but by no means least, this is a great option for quilters.
The Auntie Em cabinet is an innovative and neatly designed sewing and quilting, table from the well-respected company – Arrow,
Arrow make a fantastic rage of sewing and quilting cabinets.
We should warn you, they are not the cheapest, but this one is more affordable than most of the options in their range. And it does come with a feature than more than compensates for the price.
This table has an automatic lift, that raises your sewing machine into place for you. Sewing machines tend to be heavy, especially quilting ones. So this feature means you don’t have to risk straining your back every time you want to set it up.
Not only that but the elevating mechanism places your machine completely flush with the tabletop – just what you want when working with a larger project which is what you have to contend with as a quilter.
The cabinet comes complete with a universal insert which will accommodate most sewing machines. But you can also order a custom insert form Arrow for a specific size of machine.
The only downside to this one is that you’ll need your trusty screwdriver at the ready, and plenty of time to assemble the cabinet.
There is a video on Amazon when you click the link to check the price. it will show you the cabinet being put together. On the plus side it’s not rocket science and it only needs to be done once.
- Plenty of drawer space for fabrics and tools.
- Airlift – to automatically lift your sewing machine into place.
- It’s great for laying out and cutting fabrics, or for sewing projects, and quiltmaking. But if you’d like to see more options for sewing and quilting, take a look at our sewing cabinet guide.
Check the latest price for the Arrow 901 Auntie Em on Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are crafting tables easy to assemble?
Crafting tables aren’t difficult to assemble but they tend to have more built-in storage areas than an office desk, for example, so their design tends to be more complex.
This means they do generally take longer to put together. For that reason, it’s a good idea to get a friend to help you put it together.
Are crafting tables better than a desk?
Craft tables are much better than regular desks for crafters. They are specifically designed for crafts so tend to have more storage areas for tools and materials, as well as space to add storage bins for scraps.
They often include cupboard space for a sewing machine, die cutting machine or other essential equipment and some have tall storage areas for rolls of paper or fabric, slanted shelving for paper stock or spindles for spools of ribbons, etc.
Can you fit a sewing machine in a crafting table with storage?
Many crafting tables do have cupboard space for a sewing machine. Crafting tables are a great way to keep all your craft supplies and equipment together in one place. They are specifically designed for the purpose. They tend have a large countertop so there’s generally enough room to easily accommodate a sewing machine on top and still work on something by hand, even if the machine can’t be stored away.
Do crafting tables take up much space?
Crafting tables are generally quite spacious but that’s because crafts tend to require equipment such as a sewing, cabbing, die-cutting machine or serger. They also require tools, materials, and other supplies and you need lots of space to work.
Though many are larger than a regular desk they are much better at organizing your equipment so your craft space will look much less messy.
Alternatively, if you are short on space you should choose a foldable craft table.
Other Crafting Tables We’ve Reviewed:
These are the products that didn’t quite make our top picks, but they’re still pretty good so you might like to take a look:
Foldable Space Saver
This is a great option for small spaces or the occasional crafter or hobbyist.
- Collapsible / fold-out side panels.
- Converts into a filing cabinet.
- Folds out to a surface area of 48 inches wide.
Fold-Away Craft Desk.
This one folds out and converts to a desk with built-in shelving.
- Made in the USA for stain-resistant, laminated wood.
- At 55″ wide by 40 ¾” deep and 38½” high, it’s perfect for standing while you craft.
- Great for storing and tidying away sewing, crafting, scrapbooking or paper and art projects.