Choosing the best grill for fish, shellfish or seafood, that’s separate from your regular oven grill ensures you get succulent and delicious tuna stakes, salmon fillets and more, as well as whole fish like snapper and trout, with a tender flakey texture on the inside and perfectly crispy skin.
What’s more, your fish grill will give you a cleaner, smoke-free cooking experience that doesn’t leave lingering odors around your kitchen and home.
To that end, we’ve reviewed and compiled a guide to the best grills to cook fish and seafood.
They are all very simple to use, easy to clean and they’ll give you consistent results every time.
|Click Image to Read Review
|Our Top Pick
|Zojirushi America EF-VPC40 Fish Roaster
|Our Runner Up
|Livart Grill – Multi-purpose Fish Grill – Tw701b
|Best Large Electric Grill
|Maxi-Matic EGL-6501 XL Indoor Electric
|Best Contact Grill for Fish
|Angled Top and Bottom Grill
|T-fal GC722D53 1800W OptiGrill XL
|Best Fish BBQ
|Infrared Heat Technology
|Simple Living Advanced Indoor Smokeless BBQ Grill
|Best Budget Option
|Kitchen + Home Stove Top Smokeless Grill
Click below to jump to each topic in this guide.
- Our Top Pick
- Our Runner Up
- Best Large Electric Grill
- Best Contact Grill for Fish
- Best Fish BBQ
- Best Budget Option
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Fish Grills We’ve Reviewed
Our Top Pick: Zojirushi America EF-VPC40 Fish Roaster
Our Top Pick
The Zojirushi fish roaster wins our top pick award by a long way.
It’s an amazing countertop fish roaster with top and bottom heating elements that are designed to grill the fish on both sides evenly without the mess of having to flip the fish over.
It’s also very easy to clean and best of all it doesn’t produce smoke or leave any noticeable odors.
It features a platinum catalytic filter which is located on the lid. This filter works in a similar way to how a catalytic converter works in a car.
Platinum is a very efficient catalyst in chemical decomposition and the infused platinum particles in the filter, decompose smoke and odor into carbon dioxide and water, reducing smoke and odor by up to 90%. What’s more, unlike other filters, a catalytic filter doesn’t deteriorate or need to be replaced.
It also features two reflectors behind the top and bottom grills. The bottom reflector is called a floating reflector. You simply pour a shallow amount of water into the bottom of the roaster and it floats on top, keeping the temperature of the reflector down and reducing any smoke from oil or food that might fall onto it from above. The two reflectors together work to enhance the crispiness of your fish.
The extra wide stainless steel roasting rack accommodates large fish up to 13-3/4” wide, and the rack diverts excess oil and fat away from your food for a healthier meal.
It’s super easy to use too. It has an adjustable dial timer that can be set up to 30 minutes. When the time’s up, the roaster switches itself off and gives you an audible ding to let you know your food is ready.
And finally, cleanup is a breeze, most parts of the roaster are easily disassembled for cleaning.
- Features a platinum catalytic filter | To reduce smoke and odor by up to 90%.
- Extra-wide Stainless Steel Roasting Rack | It can accommodate large fish up to 13-3/4” wide.
- Top and Bottom Heating Elements | Designed to grill on both sides evenly without the need to flip the fish over.
- Features Two Reflectors | The bottom one floats in water to minimize smoke and both serve to add crispiness.
- Easy to Use | It has an adjustable dial timer that can be set up to 30 minutes.
Buying Factors to Consider:
None, it’s perfect for grilling whole fish as well as fillets of salmon, etc. and for that matter, thinly sliced meats and vegetables such as asparagus.
Check the latest price of the Zojirushi America EF-VPC40 Fish Roaster on Amazon.
The Livart Grill uses radiant heat to eliminate sticking and the heating coil on both the top and bottom of the grill ensures quick and even cooking, without the need to flip the fish, especially handy for cooking large, whole, fish that can be tricky to turn.
The grill measures 12.5″ x 8.5″ so it can accommodate large fish or several portions at once.
Like our top choice, it’s very easy to use, you simply set the dial timer according to the food selection chart on the side for up to 30 minutes of cooking time, depending on your selection.
What We Like:
- Stainless Steel Wire Rack | With a non-stick coating.
- Dishwasher Safe | Detachable parts that are dishwasher safe for easy cleanup.
- Ceramic Filter | This one has a ceramic filter that reduces smoke and odor so it’s great grilling indoors.
- Monitor Window | To view the cooking process.
Check the latest price of the Livart Grill – Multi-purpose Fish Grill – Tw701b on Amazon.
Best Large Electric Grill For Fish: Maxi-Matic EGL-6501 XL Indoor Electric
Best Large Electric Grill For Fish
With its large grill surface area of 12″ x 16″, the Maxi-Matic is perfect for grilling fish or several fish fillets, leaving you plenty of room to add seafood and/or vegetables at the same time.
Odor and smoke are kept to a minimum by adding water to the bottom of the pan, and a transparent glass lid holds in heat and steam, sealing in the flavors and cooking your fish quicker and more evenly, without the risk of drying it out. The glass lid also allows you to easily check when your food is ready.
The reliable nonstick grilling surface is removable and dishwasher safe as are all parts once the detachable thermostat is removed.
It also has a heat-resistant base and handles so there’s no risk of accidents or burns.
It’s super easy to use, it heats up to temperature quickly and the removable thermostat control which has an indicator light, lets you set the temperature dial from 200-450F degrees.
What We Like:
- Extra-Large 12″ x 16″ Nonstick Grilling Surface | Allows you to grill all of your foods at once.
- Dishwasher Safe for Easy Cleanup | Once the thermostat is removed, all parts can easily be dismantled and run through the dishwasher.
- Glass Lid | Holds in heat and steam, sealing in flavors and cooking food quicker and evenly, without drying it out. The glass lid also allows you to easily check when your food is ready.
Buying Factors to Consider:
It’s a large grill, perfect for get-togethers and families. This does, however, mean it will take up a fair amount of space on your kitchen counter worktop.
Check the latest price of the Maxi-Matic EGL-6501 XL Indoor Electric Amazon.
Best Contact Grill for Fish: T-fal GC722D53 1800W OptiGrill XL
Best Press Grill for Fish
Contact grills are great for grilling fish or other seafood evenly on both sides without the need to flip the food over. This eliminates the possibility of your fish falling apart in the process and spoiling the presentation of your dish.
The one we have featured is for 6 to 8 servings, but a smaller 4 servings version is also available.
The stylish, brushed stainless steel, OptiGrill’s cooking plates are slightly angled at 7°. This allows fat to drain away from your food and into a drip tray below, keeping your food more healthy.
The grill automatically senses, adjusts, and cooks food according to thickness, size, number of portions and the program that you select.
It comes with 9 different programs, one specifically for fish and another for shellfish. There are also settings for burger, poultry, sandwich, sausage, red meat, pork, and bacon and there’s an additional manual mode with 4 different temperature settings for grilling vegetables, etc.
Cooking from frozen isn’t a problem either, it even has a frozen mode.
Grilling fish with the OptiGrill is simple. Once the preheating/ready indicator light turns a steady purple, the grill has reached temperature and you can place your food on the lower grill. Lower the lid and it will cook your food to perfection.
During the cooking process, an indicator light changes from yellow to orange and then red, and the grill emits an audible beep at each stage: rare, medium and well done. You simply take the food off the grill once it’s done to your taste.
Cleaning this indoor grill is easy. It has removable die-cast aluminum nonstick plates that are dishwasher safe.
What We Like:
- Recipe Book | Includes a handy recipe book to get you started.
- Angled Cooking Plate | Allows the fat to easily drain away from your food for a healthier dish.
- 9 Different Food Programs, One Manual and One Frozen | It can grill a wide variety of foods for maximum cooking versatility.
- Contact Grill | Cooks both sides simultaneously without risking the mess of having to flip the fish over.
Check the latest price of the T-fal GC722D53 1800W OptiGrill XL on Amazon.
Best Fish BBQ: Simple Living Advanced Indoor Smokeless BBQ Grill
Best Fish BBQ
With a grill surface area of 14 x 8,” this indoor smokeless grill can cook large fish, or around 8 fillets of salmon, 8 tuna stakes, or the equivalent of other seafood or vegetables in one go.
It uses high-temperature, infrared heat technology to evenly cook your food without the need for either a lid or an extraction fan to remove smoke.
Smokeless and splatter-free, it quickly heats to 446°F and maintains its constant temperature throughout the cooking process.
The nonstick grill ensures that any fat or excess grease drain into the removable drip tray and your food easily slides off the nonstick surface when it’s done, barely leaving a trance.
It disassembles easily for cleaning and its parts are dishwasher safe.
What We Like:
- Infrared Heat Technology | Directs heat to evenly cook your food without the need for either a lid or an extraction fan to remove smoke.
- Smokeless Grill | A practical indoor barbeque that doesn’t splatter or fill your home with smoke.
- Large 14 x 8″ Surface Area | For up to 8 servings.
Check the latest price of the Simple Living Advanced Indoor Smokeless BBQ Grill on Amazon.
Best Budget Option: Kitchen + Home Stove Top Smokeless Grill
Best Budget Option
Safe to use on both indoor and outdoor electric and gas stoves, this smokeless stovetop grill has a lot to offer for a super bargain-basement price.
It’s made from stainless steel with a 100% FDA approved, PFOA free, PTFE double-coated non-stick surface.
It’s simple but clever design features an integrated drip pan that you fill with 1/2 cup of water or marinade to infuse and seal in flavor and moisture and help eliminate any smoke or grease splattering.
It even includes a 4 piece set of stovetop burner liners to help with clean up and protect your stove from grease. It’s also dishwasher safe, but hand washing is just as easy and recommended.
What We Like:
- Low Price | It’s easily affordable and grills fish to perfection.
- Compact Size | It’ll be easy to find room to store this one even in the smallest of kitchens.
- Great for Outdoors | Great for picknicks, camping, and general outdoor grilling.
- Safe Non-Stick Surface | 100% FDA approved, PFOA free, PTFE double-coated non-stick surface.
Check the latest price for the Kitchen + Home Stove Top Smokeless Grill on Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best fish to grill?
There is a wide variety of fish that you can put on the grill. The easiest to work with are those that aren’t too delicate, such as salmon, tuna, swordfish, and halibut.
Mahi-mahi and snapper are also great for grilling, but you can also grill oily fish such as sardines and mackerel or seafood like squid, shrimp, lobster tails, and scallops.
Which side of salmon do you grill first?
Though it may seem contrary to what you might think, salmon fillets actually grill better, skin side up first. The reason being that the flesh side of the raw fish isn’t delicate or likely to fall apart. You can then safely flip it when it’s past the delicate stage of cooking.
How do you keep fish from sticking to the grill?
While it’s true that fish is prone to sticking to a grill more than say, beef or chicken, there are things you can do to avoid this from happening.
The key is to start with a pristinely clean grill. Lightly brush a coating of olive oil over the surface and make sure the grill is sizzlingly hot before you place the fish on it to cook.
Don’t try to flip it if it doesn’t come away easily. When it’s ready to be turned it should slide off the grill with ease.
Do you flip fish on the grill?
It’s not necessary to flip fish on contact grills since they evenly grill both sides of the fish simultaneously. Those cooked on grills that only have only a bottom heating element, generally do need to be flipped.
The key to flipping successfully is to wait until the fish is cooked well enough to come off the grill easily, which is how you’ll know it’s ready for turning.
Other Fish Grills We’ve Reviewed:
These are the products that didn’t quite make our top picks, but they’re still pretty good so you might like to take a look:
Best Butane Gas Grill for Fish
This authentic Japanese robatayaki (food cooked on fire) grill, runs on butane cans. It’s great for broiling shrimp, scallops, and fish, etc.
Don’t let the Japanese instructions put you off, you only need to ignite it by turning the dial.
- It has a continuous burning time of approximately 90 minutes for one can of butane.
- Features a stainless steel grill and skewer stays.
- Water tray for better cooking and easy cleanup.
Indoor Grill for Korean BBQ – YAKIMARU
This one works in a similar way. It uses butane cans and is very easy to use so there’s no need to worry about the lack of English instructions.
- This one has a continuous burning time of approximately 217 minutes for one butane can.
- Plate diameter of just over 9″.
- Add 1/2 cup of water to the drip tray to keep the grill smokeless.
Japanese Fish Roaster
The Panasonic fish roaster is more pricey than our other picks but well worth the price tag.
- It uses a far-infrared heater to heat food efficiently from the inside.
- The temperature control has 3 settings high, mid and low.
- The timer can be set from 1 minute to 30 minutes.
BBQ Fish Rack
Great for holding a whole fish in place.
The key to prevent sticking is to keep it scrupulously clean and coat it well with olive or other oil.
- Stainless Steel.
- Measures 14.2 x 3 x 2.9 inches.