Chaise lounge chairs instantly add luxury and a hint of tropical paradise to any patio or poolside area.
But, when you think about it, they’re designed for relaxing on. They’re not just to look good, so they should be just as comfortable as your couch and they should last just as long despite being exposed to the outdoors because after all, that’s exactly what they’re designed for.
There’s a lot of choices out there so we looked at more than 20 outdoor chaise lounges and narrowed our research down to the 5 best outdoor chaise lounges on the market today. Our recommendations have the perfect combination of design, quality, and durability.
We’ve already done all the research and hard work, so you can put your feet up and r e l a x.
Reviews for the Best Outdoor Chaise Lounge
|Editor’s Award||Brand||Click image to Read Review|
|Best Wooden Outdoor Chaise Lounge||Safavieh Newport Chaise Lounge|
|Best All-Weather Outdoor Chaise Lounge||Incbruce Adjustable Chaise Lounge for All-Weather|
|The Best Foldable Outdoor Chaise Lounge Set||Flamaker 3 Pieces Chaise Lounge|
|Best High-End Outdoor Chaise Lounge||Modway Outdoor Patio Sunbrella Chaise Lounge|
|Best Double Outdoor Chaise Lounge||Modway Sunbrella Double Chaise Lounge|
Click to jump straight to each review:
- Best Wooden Outdoor Chaise Lounge
- Best All-Weather Outdoor Chaise Lounge
- Best Foldable Outdoor Chaise Lounge Set
- Best High-End Outdoor Chaise Lounge – Sunbrella*
- Best Double Outdoor Chaise Lounge – Sunbrella*
Also in this guide:
Best Wooden Outdoor Chaise Lounge: Safavieh Newport Chaise Lounge
Our Top Pick
Classic and elegant with a touch of luxury is how we’d describe this chaise lounge.
Simply put, it looks way more high-end than it actually is, and it’s not because it’s made from a better quality wood than all the rest.
To be honest, if you choose any decent quality one, it will be made from some type of hard-wearing weather-resistant wood that’s specifically suitable for the outdoors.
What makes this stand out from the rest is the craftsmanship that’s gone into those extra details like the decorative corner pieces and the adorable little built-in side table.
But that table isn’t just there to look pretty while it holds your drink for you. It’s clever too.
You see it’s designed to slide out from under the frame of the bed, so you can fold it away when you’re not using it.
You can see the detail more easily in the picture to the right, which also shows you the ash-gray wood finish version.
And that’s the thing: when you’re sitting and relaxing outside you’re going to want somewhere to put your stuff like a drink, sunscreen, and book, etc.
But trust me, it’s not that easy to find one that’ll match in with the style of your furniture and not look like it’s an afterthought that doesn’t quite go.
Plus the fact that it folds away, will make your outdoor space look way neater than having extra furniture on your patio hanging around. Clutter is never a good look.
On the wood quality scale, this is one is made from eucalyptus wood. Though not as long-lasting as teak which has super-wood qualities (a high mineral content), it’s much denser and more durable than the usual Acacia wood ones that you generally see.
Eucalyptus is by nature, rot- and decay-resistant and it has a high oil content which repels water and moisture. It weathers to a soft gray but can be stained back to its original tones, which just so you know, are a little more orange/red in real life than the picture shows.
And have we mentioned comfort yet? The seat pad is firm with an excellent bounce back. At just over 2″ thick you’re not going to feel the frame through it like you do with some others.
- Eucalyptus Wood with Galvanized Steel Fixings – The wood is rot- and decay-resistant and it’s high oil content repels water and moisture. Those fixings are rust-resistant too.
- Cushions – The upholstery which is included, is nice and thick and it’s comfortable but firm to lie on. Just so you know, it’s polyester over a foam interior. What great about this one is that you get a choice of color, so you can go for a vibrant yellow, a sedate navy blue, or even a deckchair stripe in either navy and white, black and white or gray and white.
- Built-In, Pull-Out Side Table – Now this is just good design. It’s very handy to have a side table but you don’t always want extra furniture cluttering up your outdoor space.
- Not Waterproof – You can’t leave these cushions out in the rain, as they’re not waterproof, so you’ll need to have somewhere dry to store them on rainy days.
- Assembly Required – It does require some assembly mostly just screwing it together and though there’s quite a lot of them it’s all zero skill required.
Best All-Weather Outdoor Chaise Lounge: Incbruce Adjustable Chaise Lounge for All-Weather
Best All-Weather Outdoor Chaise Lounge
If you’re going for an ultra-modern minimalist look, this one has that in bucket loads, in fact, this could easily be our top choice, the only reason it didn’t make it is that it only comes in just this one color.
That said, the black rattan and the turquoise cover combo takes me to my happy place and I think it’s simply stunning, just as it is.
What stands out about this one is its sleek curvy design. Not just because it looks good, which it does, but because it’s ergonomically designed, meaning it follows the contours of your body and raises and supports your legs more than other designs.
This will feel more natural and comfortable than having your back at a straight angle and your legs straight out.
And at a little over 2″ thick, the cushion is super comfortable.
But the best thing about this one, as far as I’m concerned, is that you don’t have to worry about bringing the cushion in if it rains. Because it’s waterproof.
That means it won’t soak water up like a wet sponge, leaving it soggy for days on end, and then give you a nasty surprise when you sit on it thinking it’ll be dry by now – and you won’t have to find somewhere to store it on day’s when it looks like it might rain.
What’s more, it’s also UV-protected, which means it’s resistant to fading in the hot sun too.
As you can see in the photo to the right, these chairs are well made.
The black rattan is handwoven over a rust and corrosion-resistant powder-coated steel frame. So they’ll last you for years.
It’s also worth mentioning that rattan has the advantage over wood as it’s breathable which means it lets the air pass through it and it’s cooler to the touch than wood when out in the hot sun all day.
And lastly, as you can see, this chair is adjustable between 4 positions. Handy if you want to sit up and read.
I just need to mention, if you’re buying two, see Things to Consider below.*
- Ergonomically designed – It naturally follows the contours of your body and raises and supports your legs more than other designs. And it’s adjustable to 4 positions.
- Waterproof Cushions – They won’t soak water up like Sponge Bob and you don’t have to bring them in when it rains.
- Sturdy Constructions – It has a rust and corrosion-resistant, powder-coated steel frame.
- Comfortable – The cushions are comfortable to lie on and they’re a little over 2″ thick.
- This color takes me to my happy place but if turquoise really isn’t your color then this one isn’t for you.
- This one doesn’t come with a side table. If you want one to match in you’ll need to choose a black rattan one. There’s a good option here. However, if you’re buying 2 chairs and a table you’d be better off going for this option which is basically the same as buying 2 of the chairs above plus that extra side table, but you can save yourself some money by going for the set.
- This choice will need some assembly but it’s not rocket science, it’s basically screws but a little extra help from someone wouldn’t be unwelcome.
Dimensions: 84.25″ x 27.16″ x 14.17″
Check the latest price for the Incbruce Outdoor Adjustable Chaise Lounge on Amazon.
Best Foldable Outdoor Chaise Lounge Set: Flamaker 3 Pieces Chaise Lounge
Best Foldable Outdoor Chaise Lounge Set
If you only want to bring your chairs out when you’re actually going to be using them, or you’d love to be able to take them with you when you go away on trips, then this is the set you should go for. After all, we don’t all have a huge outdoor space to work with.
You see the difference between this set and other chaise lounge chairs that look similar, is that these are completely foldable and they’re stackable too.
That means they’re not going to be an awkward shape and take up lots of extra space when you come to store them away, they’re completely slimline when folded and they’ve even got a discreet carry-handle built into the side of the frame, so they’re very easy to carry around.
The other thing that’s great about them is that there’s no assembly required. Because they’re specifically designed to be portable, the manufacturers have an easy job packing them up to send to you.
That means these chairs don’t need a ton of screws and questionable language to get them up and running.
And of course, they include that foldable side table too and that’s what makes choosing a set such a good idea.
You see single chaise lounge chairs just don’t come with side tables and so it’s up to you to find one that’ll match in with your style.
With this pick, you get a table that matches your chaise lounge and also folds away too so you can take the complete set including the side table away with you.
The only downside to this pick is that these chaise lounge chairs, unlike our other choices aren’t adjustable, so you only get the one position you see in the top photo. They’re very comfortable though, and the cushion is 2″ thick.
And speaking of the cushion, you don’t have to worry about a sudden downpour because the fabric is water-repellant and fade-resistant.
- No Assembly Required – Unpack them, throw your cushions on them and they’re ready to use, straight out of the box.
- Foldable and Portable – The whole set is foldable and stackable. So they’re not going to be an awkward shape and take up lots of extra space when you store them away, and they’ve even got a discreet carry-handle built into the side of the frame.
- The only downside to this pick is that these chaise lounge chairs, unlike our other choices, aren’t adjustable, so you only get the one position you see in the top photo.
Check the latest for Flamaker 3 Pieces Patio Chaise Lounge on Amazon.
Best High-End Outdoor Chaise Lounge: Modway Outdoor Patio Sunbrella Chaise Lounge
Best High-End Outdoor Chaise Lounge
This is more of a luxury choice than the other chaise lounges we’ve looked at so far.
This is more of a luxury choice than the other chaise lounges we’ve looked at so far.
As you can see from the photo, the quality just jumps off the page at you, so admittedly, there’s a bit of a jump in price too.
But there are more reasons that this made our top choice for this category than obviously appears. For one, the fabric on those soft 5″ thick cushions is Sunbrella fabric.
You see, Sunbrella isn’t just a fabric that’s dyed on the surface like all the rest. It’s made from acrylic fibers that are actually dyed all the way through.
Now, these dye pigments are highly UV-resistant, mold-resistant, and mildew-resistant.
That means, the fabric won’t fade, and any mold won’t stick so it will just wipe clean away – you can even clean Sunbrella with bleach, and it’s also machine washable.
Sunbrella fabric is also breathable, which means it will feel much cooler to lie on, on hot sunny days.
…And on not so sunny days? Sunbrella is water repellant so a sudden down poor isn’t going to leave you with soggy cushions.
The other thing that knocks the spots off other cheaper versions of this style including one by the same company as this, is the bespoke looking extra thick, two-tone weave rattan, which gives the frame a softer more contoured outline.
And it’s that chunky two-tone weave rattan which makes all the difference between this chaise lounge and regular patio furniture.
You see this one would look equally at home indoors in a sunroom or summer house.
To be honest, when it comes down to it, it’s the frame on this model, more than the Sunbrella fabric itself, that you are paying a higher price tag for.
That becomes evident when you compare it with Modway’s other cheaper version with the same design. Both have Sunbrella Fabric, but the rattan on the other version is just a standard one. You could say it’s more basic – like the regular ones you see around. Of course, that one may be your preference, and if so, you should go for that one. You’ll still be getting a stunning, high-end chair made with 5″ thick Sunbrella Fabric cushions, and you’ll save your self some money too.
Either way, this frame is built to last, it’s made from powder-coated aluminum and the rattan is UV protected.
And if all that’s not enough to impress you, it comes fully assembled so you can breathe a sigh of relief and put that screwdriver back in the draw.
Basically, this is the best quality you can get for your money, but if you’re going to buy two, I recommend you at least consider the double one first, which we’ve featured next, as it’ll save you a quite a few bucks.
- Five Inch Thick Cushions – It’s true, you only get what you pay for, and at 5″ thick, these cushions are more than twice as thick as all our other picks. And just so you know, they feel as comfortable as a couch.
- High-Quality Thick, Two-Tone Rattan – The chunky weave of this rattan adds to the overall high-end look of this chair, but it’s also UV protected and the frame itself is powder-coated aluminum. So it not only looks good, it’s going to last you for years to come.
- Sunbrella Fabric – The benefits of choosing Sunbrella are huge, here’s the rundown: It’s UV/fade-resistant, mold-resistant, and mildew-resistant, water-repellent, breathable, machine washable, and bleachable.
- The single chair is worth the price tag for the absolute best quality that you are getting. But, to be honest, a double one doesn’t cost that much more, so it’s actually an even better deal. If you are thinking of getting two, you should definitely consider the double version below.
Check the latest price and color options for the Modway Outdoor Patio Sunbrella Chaise Lounge on Amazon.
Best Double Outdoor Chaise Lounge: Modway Sunbrella Double Chaise Lounge
Best Double Outdoor Chaise Lounge
This double chaise lounge chair is basically a luxury outdoor day bed.
You can share it nicely with your better half or selfishly spread out on it and take all the room up for yourself.
You’ll notice it’s basically the double version of our best high-end single chaise lounge above.
However, buying this double version is way better value for money than buying two of the single Modways chaise lounge chairs.
In fact, if you compare this gray double, for example, with the price of two gray single chaise lounges, this one works out to be around 39% cheaper and the navy option will save you around 30%. The prices for the different color options tend to vary according to how popular they are.
Now I won’t go into too many details about the features of this one so that I’m not repeating myself, but like the single version, this is high-end furniture and that means:
It’ll feel more like relaxing on a couch or your bed than normal patio furniture. These cushions are 4″ thick. Most others out there are only 2″ thick.
You also get the king of all fabrics, Sunbrella fabric! If you missed what that means, prepare to be very impressed and scroll to read from here.
For me, what makes this chaise lounge a piece of high-end furniture rather than just a patio chair is its high-end chunky two-tone weave, rattan frame.
I’m not saying that the standard chocolate brown/black rattan weave frames that you generally see on patio furniture are in any way lower quality than this one, They’re all made of synthetic wicker which is ultra hardwearing and weatherproof. This one just looks a little more natural – like real wicker.
If you prefer the standard brown/black rattan however you should go for the Modway Sojoun range, it also has the Sunbrella fabric cushions but it will save you a little money.
Because that’s the thing, it’s the frame that you’re paying a little more for with Modway’s Summon Range.
That said, I think this one is well worth paying that bit extra for.
After all, it’ll pay you back by rewarding you with years of luxury and good taste.
- Sunbrella Fabric – Sunbrella is basically the king of all fabrics here’s that list of its benefits again: It’s UV/fade-resistant, mold-resistant, and mildew-resistant, water-repellent, breathable, machine washable, and bleachable.
- High-Quality Thick Two-Tone Rattan – As we’ve said, the chunky weave of this rattan adds to the overall high-end look of this chair, but it’s also UV protected and the frame itself is powder-coated aluminum so it not only looks good, it’s going to last you for years to come.
- Price – This double chaise lounge is amazing value money for the absolute best quality that you are getting. Especially so when you compare the price of buying this one to the price of buying two separate single chaise lounges from the same range.
- There’s really no downside to this one. It’s excellent value for what you get and while the company also do a generally cheaper option with a standard rattan base, not all color choices in that range are much cheaper than this one anyway.
Check the latest price and color options for the Thick Two-Tone Weave Rattan version on Amazon.
Check the latest price and color options for the Standard Weave Rattan Range version on Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is an outdoor chaise lounge?
Outdoor chaise lounges are long chairs that you can lay back, put your feet up and relax on. With an indoor chaise lounge, you would generally sit as you would on a sofa or put your feet up to the side. Outdoor chaise lounges are closer to a sunlounger than a couch. But they are generally more comfortable than a sunlounger.
They often (although not always) have full-length cushions and those that don’t are often made from synthetic rattan which is ergonomically shaped for comfort.
They are an excellent choice for patios pools or other outdoor spaces. Many have weather-resistant fabrics. So you don’t have to worry about a sudden downpour.
Are outdoor chaise lounges a good choice?
When choosing outdoor furniture, you should consider it’s function. Patio or garden chairs are often more suitable for entertaining or being sociable with family and friends.
Chaise lounges, on the other hand, are more suitable for relaxing, reading, sunbathing or catching up on a few zzz’s.
Ideally, you would have a mixture of both. However, whereas any number of chairs is good for entertaining, chaise lounges generally look better, being more intimately set out in pairs.
Are chaise lounges comfortable?
Many outdoor chaise lounges have adjustable backs that allow you to sit in an upright position to read, lay back in a semi-reclining position or lie flat to fully relax. This makes them an ideal choice for around-the-pool lounging, or simply relaxing in the sun on the patio.
Many are ergonomically shaped to conform to your body and they usually have cushions that are at least 2 inches thick.
They are more comfortable than most outdoor furniture and because of their inherent design, you get to put your feet up without having to buy a footstool.
What is the best outdoor chaise lounge?
There are so many different styles to choose from and the answer to that relies somewhat on what you are looking for.
Wooden frame ones are a good choice but you should choose a good quality wood. Teak is the most durable type of wood but it’s the most expensive. Eucalyptus wood is a good choice and it’s what our top choice is made from. Acacia wood is the most common type, but it’s less durable than eucalyptus or teak.
Synthetic rattan chairs are another good choice they feel cool to lie on and they are also extremely durable and comfortable too.
If you choose one with a metal frame, you should ideally choose one with a powder-coated steel frame.
The best type of cover fabrics to choose are those that are waterproof and fade-resistant. Sunbrella fabric is the gold standard for outdoor fabrics.
Other Outdoor Chaise Lounges We’ve Reviewed:
These are the products that didn’t quite make our top picks, but they’re still pretty good so you might like to take a look:
This set has foam padding under the weave for comfort.
- UV-resistant synthetic wicker with foam padding under.
- Quick-dry foam so you can leave then outside.
- Adjustable and legs can be folded.
These like our top choice have a wooden frame. They are made from acacia wood.
- Teak finish, acacia wood frame.
- Set of two value for money.
- 2″ cushions with water-resistant fabric.
We love the stripes and ergonomic design of these.
- Set of two so it’s value for money.
- Adjustable back and folding legs for easy stacking.
- Cushions are made from water-resistant fabric.
The geometric frame of this chaise lounges gives it a cool mid-century modern look.
- Comes complete with the throw pillow.
- Comes complete with a snug-fitting rain cover.
- White powder-coated steel frame.
These are lightweight and easy to store away.
- Comes in a set of two with side table.
- Textilene fabric which is durable and breathable.
- Adjustable with aluminum frames.