You don’t need to have a large bathroom for it to look luxurious and add a touch of high class to your home. The smallest of spaces can be transformed by good interior design and the right furnishings.
The wide choice of well-made and beautiful frameless shower doors, available in a much wider range of sizes these days, means that small showers no longer need to be fitted out with a cheap-looking shower curtain or a dated and ugly thick-framed folding door.
However, it can be a little confusing knowing what size you’ll need. But don’t worry it’s easier than you’d think.
There are just a few rules to follow:
- Don’t take any final measurements until your shower is fully tiled or otherwise fully finished.
- Measure the width across the top, middle, and bottom. This will establish whether the walls run straight. If they do, your walls are plumb. If they don’t run straight, your walls are out of plumb. In this case, you should choose a shower door that has adjustability and is suitable for out of plumb shower walls.
- Finally check the height.
Here at Comfy Zen we’ve have put together a handy easy guide with information on choosing the right size for your shower.
Reviews of Our Top Picks for the Best Shower Doors for Small Bathrooms
|Best Shower Door for Openings Less Than 24″ Wide||Aston SDR997EZ-CH-10 Kinkade 22″ x 72″|
|Alternative Pick for Openings Less Than 24″ Wide||Aston SDR995F-CH-30-10 Cascadia Frosted Glass|
|Best 24″ Shower Door For Plumb Walls||DreamLine Unidoor|
|Best Adjustable 24″ Shower door for Out of Plumb Walls||VIGO SoHo 24 to 24.5-in. Adjustable Frameless Shower Door|
|Best Custom Made Shower Door 24″ to 28″||Tropical Art Glass Inc. 24″-28″ Frameless Shower Door|
Click below to jump to each topic in this guide.
- Best Shower Door for Openings Less Than 24″ Wide
- Alternative Pick for Openings Less Than 24″ Wide
- Best 24″ Shower Door For Plumb Walls
- Best Adjustable 24″ Shower door for Out of Plumb Walls
- Best Custom Made Shower Door 24″ to 28″
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Other Shower Doors We’ve Reviewed
Best Shower Door for Openings Less Than 24″ Wide: Aston SDR997EZ-CH-10 Kinkade 22″ x 72″
Best Shower Door for Openings Less Than 24″ Wide
This 3/8″ (10 mm) ANSI-certified clear tempered glass shower door is ideal for very small spaces. It comes in a wide range of different sizes. The narrowest available option is just 22″ which has adjustability between 21 3/4 inches and 22 1/4 inches. It’s ideal for both plumb and out of plumb openings that fall within 1/2 inch of this size.
There is also a 23″ wide option, a 24,” wide option and upwards in 1-inch sizes to a full 38 inches.
The glass itself has a StarCast by EnduroShield environmentally-friendly and UV stable protective glass coating. This is a one time only application and means that the glass is protected against water and oil stains and it has a 10-year warranty to back it up. It simply makes the door super-easy to keep clean and reduces the incidence of bacteria and other deposits.
The door is suitable for right or left-hand installation.
This door is for plumb (straight) walls and out of plumb walls. The 22″ width will fit a tiled or otherwise finished shower opening that measures a minimum of 21 3/4″ and a maximum of 22 1/4. ”
It comes in a wide range of alternative sizes.
What We Like:
- Protective Glass Coating | The glass is water and oil stain-resistant. The coating also reduces bacteria.
- Suitable for Plumb and Out of Plumb Openings | It has an adjustability range of 1/2.”
- 3/8″ (10 mm) Clear Tempered Glass | This is thicker than many others out there and better for safety.
- Full-Length Clear Seals | To prevent leaks.
Check the latest price for the Aston SDR997EZ-CH-10 Kinkade 22″ x 72″ on Amazon.
Alternative Pick for Openings Less Than 24″ Wide: Aston SDR995F-CH-30-10 Cascadia Frosted Glass
Alternative Pick for Openings Less Than 24″ Wide
This model is an alternative pick to our first option. It comes in a wide range of sizes and it’s also made from ANSI-certified 3/8″ (10mm) tempered safety glass.
The difference with this one is that it is made from frosted glass. The perfect solution for when privacy is imperative.
Suitable for plumb and out of plumb tiled or otherwise finished openings, the 22″ has a 1/2″ adjustability and is suitable for openings of 21 3/4″ to 22 1/4.” It also comes in a wide range of additional sizes that go up to 38.”
Check the latest price for the Aston SDR995F-CH-30-10 Cascadia Frosted Glass on Amazon.
Best 24″ Shower Door For Plumb Walls: DreamLine Unidoor
Best 24″ Shower Door for Plumb Walls
This single panel frameless swing shower door is made from 0.375 ” (10mm) thick ANSI certified tempered glass and has a water and stain-resistant glass coating.
It’s reversible for either a right or left opening and has brass wall-to-glass self-closing hinges for a smooth closure.
It comes with a choice of hardware options, brushed nickel, oil-rubbed bronze, chrome, and satin black.
This door is for plumb (straight) walls only. It will fit a tiled or otherwise finished shower opening of 24″ to 24-1/8.”
What We Like:
- Thick Tempered Glass | 10 mm thick glass. This is a good thickness to ensure safety against knocks.
- Water and Stain-Resistant Coated Glass | The coating makes this one so easy to clean, it’s pretty much maintenance-free.
- Self-Closing Hinges | For a smooth Closure.
Check the latest price for the DreamLine Unidoor on Amazon.
Best Adjustable 24″ Shower door for Out of Plumb Walls:
Best Adjustable 24″ Shower door for Out of Plumb Walls
The hardware on this one gives it a sleek minimalist look.
It costs less than our first option too, but the tempered clear glass is a little thinner, measuring 0.3125″ (7.9375 mm) thick.
The glass on this one doesn’t have the water and stain-resistant glass coating that our first option has. It does, however, come with self-closing hinges to give the door a smooth closure and a magnetic strip to keep the door closed and prevent leaks. It’s also reversible for left or right-sided installation.
It has brass plated door hinges and VIGO offers a lifetime guarantee against rust.
This door has a 1/2 inch adjustability for out of plumb walls. It will fit a tiled or otherwise finished shower opening of 24 inches to a maximum width of 24.5 inches.
What We Like:
- Choice of Hardware Finishes | It comes with stainless steel or chrome hardware.
- Built-in Adjustability | It allows for an adjustment of 0.5″ for slightly out of plumb walls.
Buying Factors to Consider:
This is a great option, reasonably priced, and it looks good too. It doesn’t have the water and stain-resistant glass coating, and the glass is a little thinner than our top pick.
Check the latest price for the VIGO SoHo 24 to 24.5-in. Adjustable Frameless Shower Door on Amazon.
Best Custom Made Shower Door 24″ to 28″: Tropical Art Glass Inc. 24″ to 28″ Frameless Shower Door
Best Custom Made Shower Door
If your finished shower opening is plum but is an in-between size, or you have out of plumb walls, this option will allow you to have a custom made 0.375 ” (10mm) thick tempered glass shower door with a choice of chrome, brushed nickel or oil rubbed bronze hardware.
This Tropical Art Glass Inc. frameless shower door can be custom cut for a shower opening of anywhere between 24″ to 28″ wide and 72″ to 78″ high.
Door sweeps are included and the door comes complete with installation instructions.
What We Like:
- Custom Made | This takes the worry out of having to find an exact fit.
- Thick Tempered Glass | 0.375 ” (10mm) is a good thickness for a tempered glass shower door.
- Best Bang for Your Buck | For the price this one is amazing value for money.
Buying Factors to Consider:
Their customer services are very helpful. Give them, your plumb or out of plum measurements and they will do the rest.
Check the latest price for the Tropical Art Glass Inc. 24″-28″ Frameless Shower Door on Amazon.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are frameless shower doors expensive?
Frameless shower doors do tend to cost more than those that come with frames. The reason for this is that the glass needs to be thicker, primarily for safety reasons, it’s therefore, more expensive. The glass also needs to be strong enough to be supported by the heavy-duty fixings and hardware. The ideal thickness for a frameless shower door should be about 0.375 ” or 10mm thick.
What is the minimum width for a shower door?
The minimum width is 22.” A 22″ shower door that has a 1/2 inch adjustability for out of plumb walls, will fit a tiled or finished opening of 21 3/4″ to 22 1/4. ”
How do you keep a shower door clean?
A mixture of Dawn and vinegar is good for removing soap scum. Alternatively, you can also use any regular vinegar-based glass cleaner on your glass shower door.
The easiest way, by far, to keep a shower door clean, however, is to choose one that has been treated with a water and oil stain-resistant glass coating. These coatings are a once only application so the coating never needs to be repeated. They reduce bacteria and other build-up and make cleaning so much easier.
Other Ones We’ve Reviewed:
These are the products that didn’t quite make our top picks, but they’re still pretty good so you might like to take a look:
24-Inch Shower Screen
This is a stationary single panel shower screen for open showers or wetrooms.
- This fixed shower door has 3/8 Inch thick glass.
- It has been treated with a German smart guard coat treatment on both sides for stain-resistance and easy cleaning.
Budget Option for 23-1/2 Inch to 25-Inch Openings
This hinge and strike, frosted glass shower door has 3/4″ (19 mm) out-of-plumb adjustability.
- Suitable for right or left-side installation.
- Outward swinging door.
- Frosted privacy glass.
Black Bronze 24″ x 69″ Shower Door
This black bronze framed shower door is just under 4mm thick.
- It has 3/4 inch adjustability for out of plumb walls.
- Corrosion and rust-resistant oil rubbed bronze anodized aluminum finish.
- Telescoping adjustable wall jambs.